How do I protect my computer and data? There are several different issues that can come up with your computer. We like to focus on solving your problem quickly and inexpensively, but there are things that you can do yourself to ensure you don’t have to come see us as often.
Here is a short list of how to keep your computer running and minimize disaster:
- Most important rule – backup your data. If you don’t have a backup of your important stuff then it can be gone instantly. Whether it is dropping your computer, power surge, failing hard drive or some other software issue, all of your information (pictures, emails, accounting) can be lost instantly. We do offer recovery services, but it is best to have a second copy of your stuff. You can do this by burning a CD, copying to USB stick or external hard drive (read more about this). We also offer a backup service over the Internet.
- Keep your computer up to date. Because we see lots of software issues it is important to keep your tools that help protect your computer up to date. Regularly check if you need any Microsoft updates. These updates help fix any possible issues with your operating system (Windows). Mac computers also require updates from time to time.
- Additional software we recommend. We have several software packages that we use to clean your computer and to help you keep your computer running. Here are some of the tools that we recommend:
- Microsoft Security Essentials – Antivirus software built by Microsoft. This free software package is excellent at keeping your computer protected. Microsoft has realized that they need to help protect their customers and they are definitely doing a good job with this one.
- Malwarebytes – This package is for removing spyware, malware and those nasty ransomware software issues. Make sure Malwarebytes is up to date and scan your computer regularly.
- Spybot Search and Destroy – This is also for removing spyware and malware. These guys have been doing this for a long time and have always come through.
- Ccleaner – Crap Cleaner is used to keep your computer clean of junk. It will remove temp files, stuff from the Recycle Bin, cookies and all that other good stuff. It also can assist you in removing programs from your computer and disabling startup items so your computer will perform better.
These are just some of the programs that are available out there to help you keep things safe. There are lots of other tools on the internet that do similar functions, most are good programs some are not, if you have questions then please feel free to give us a call (306) 565-3336.